A representative from the San Mateo Sheriff’s Department has confirmed that an 18 year-old suspect in a recent robbery and assault has turned himself in.
The original incident took place in early May. It was at that time that two men robbed and beat up a pair of younger teens. Those boys, aged 13 and 14, sustained non-life threatening injuries as a result of the assault.
San Mateo Sheriff’s Department deputies said they had been actively working to determine the identity of the second suspect. They were able to obtain that information several days ago. A $300,000 warrant was issued for the arrest of Alec Silva.
Silva came forward on his own. He surrendered himself to the Half Moon Bay Substation last Friday.
The defendant was handcuffed, read his Miranda Rights and was transported to the Maguire Correctional Facility. He is scheduled to be arraigned this week. The first suspect has been in custody since May 9. Austin Krieger remains in custody pending trial.
Investigators said the incident began when the pair beat up the young boys and stole their wallets, cell phones and sneakers. They fled the area in a grey Suzuki.
The boys were reportedly attacked while they were playing basketball on school grounds. Krieger and Silva approached them and began calling them names. The victims taunted back. The suspects initiated a foot chase. The younger men tried to hide in the woods but were unsuccessful.
Their names have not been released.
Law enforcement officials are asking anyone who believes they might have information regarding this attack to please contact investigators. It is unclear whether the suspects are linked to any other crimes. Deputies have not indicated whether either of the men has a rap sheet.
The San Mateo Sheriff’s Department has said that all tips can be placed anonymously.